Sunday, May 18, 2014

Flockers Meat Maker (A Pendulum)

Today I will attempt a timing puzzle using a pendulum.

I created a simple map here to start playing around with anchors and whatnot. My plan is to have a slight step in the middle that will require the players to work at finding the right moment for releasing the sheep across. In my first few plays I was able to save 15 sheep so I would think this level could be done perfectly given enough time. However a cool level is not my goal here. The goal is to help you better understand how the mechanics of the level builder work in Flockers.
imageI created this at the very bottom of the screen to allow more time as the pendulum swings.

Anchors
imageNext I placed an anchor at the very top middle of the screen. I used the X coordinate from the middle landscape piece to make sure both are in line vertically. You should name the anchor as well if you plan on using several on the same level.

Anchors are what keep your “physics objects” from simply falling off the screen, or onto scenery objects, when the level starts.

 

Physics Objects
imageI decided I wanted a saw blade as my pivot point for the pendulum. I placed a saw blade and then copied the position coordinates from the anchor to put them exactly on top of each other.

I also renamed the object to “SawBlade.” Since this object is simply cosmetic I left it at that. However if the level is started at this point the saw blade falls to the ground. It still needs to be tied to the anchor. You do this with a Weld Joint.

Weld Jointsimage
Weld joints do not have any icon on the graphics screen. Instead you enter the name of two objects that should be “welded” together. 

Since you will end up with many weld joints on larger levels its good practice to name them as well. I named mine “SawPullyWeld” And now I see that I have too many L’s in the name. Sad smile

imageNow for the pendulum object. I played with a number of objects and finally settled on one of the cogs. I was going to have it roll along the middle piece decided that may be too advanced for my second tutorial. Lets keep it simple. I guessed about where it should go…

To create the link between the saw blade and this cog I need a Rope Joint.

Rope Joints
imageimage

These simply show as this icon until the next time you press either Test Mode or Edit Mode. Pressing Edit Mode while currently in edit mode simply refreshes all of the objects in the graphics window.

Then using the rope joints properties specify what two objects should be “tied” together. Increasing the number in the Initial Length field will put some extra slack in the joint. Gravity will remove that, if possible, once the level starts. In this case I want no extra chain because I’m trying for a smooth pendulum swinging motion.

Then you test it. It took four tries for me before I finally had the cog positioned where I swung down without hitting the floor or missing the sheep entirely.

I added a few staring abilities, then played the level a number of times. I did come back and adjust some of the landscape pieces to make the level a bit easier. Once I finished with 15 across and with resquing the golden sheep I wrote down the scores and set the Star Scores.

Good luck. This was a fun level to build and fun to play. I have a number of others planned. I’m not sure how much I will document on them here… I’m not sure anyone is really reading this. I may just build some levels and post them.

By the way, this level will be posted as SWILE’s Tutorial 02.

2 comments:

  1. Really Liked the information you have provided. I have an article relaed to it. I was searching about it on the internet and I found an amazing site from the Drum Site. The provided Article was about a site that provides working modded android apps. The name of the site was “Fineapkapps”. The Article was very halpful, You should read that. Click Here to reach that amazing article: the drum Best Site.

    ReplyDelete